Monday, July 21, 2008

Lookin' for a little Help

One of the things they need to put on the qualifications list for my job is "ability to play chess," every 4-6 months we get one client who lovesto play chess. There area couple of us there who aren't utter idiots at the game, but that's about it. My goal when playing these clients is primarily to 1. bond with the kid and 2. not get totally embarrassed.

Friday I was mated in 4 moves.

So much for #2.

I've got to improve my game. Anyone know any decent (i.e., helpful) Chess-tutorial sites out there?

5 comments:

DrOakley said...

I was a USCF player in the day---in my last tournament at age 14 I played 1800 level chess, so I wasn't too bad. Anyway, Fred Reinfeld is "old school," but his work on combinations, pins, knight forks, etc., is invaluable. I just bought my daughter an Amazon book, something like 1000 combinations or something by him, that she found useful. Of course, openings are another issue. :-)

Anonymous said...

I was once mated in three moves, so you aren't a total loss. Hey, it's hot and muggy here in South Carolina. Maybe you can redeem yourself by figuring out who this is. This may not help much, but down here they call me DonBob. Long story. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm surprised you laste 4 moves.

Hobster said...

I only know 3 people in SC...only 2 who read this thing, and the other's been there long enough not to comment much on the mugginess :)

Soooo pretty sure I know who you are :) Without the clue, thanks D-Bob.

How ya doing? Still get MrB and Crystal asking for updates on you--Dale asked too, last time he called (1 year Clean and Sober now, btw)

Hobster said...

Wow...2 DrOakley comments in as many months...I may faint...

Anonymous said...

Good grief, can't remember Dale. Refresh me. Doing very well. You? How about church? DonBob