Tuesday, July 01, 2008

How Have I Not Read This Before?

Just started Gatto's The Underground History of American Education--have seen it cited, quoted, lauded several times over the years, but have yet to pick it up.

Today, I took my first dip into the prologue. Wow! Am loving this already (am pretty hard-line on this issue already, this could turn me into a frothing at the mouth lunatic)

You aren't complelled to loan your car to anyone who wants it, but you are compelled to surrender your school-age child to strangers who process children for a livlihood, eeven though one in every nine schoolchildren is terrified of physical harm happeneing to them in school...Your great-great-grandmother didn't have to surrender her children. What happened?

If I demanded you give up your television to an anonymous, itinerant repairman who needed work you'd think I was crazy; if I came with a policeman who forced you to pay that repairman even after he broke your set--you would be outraged. Why are you so docile when you give up your child to a government agent called a school teacher?

0 comments: