Friday, February 15, 2008

Date Night

This past Saturday, the local rec center had their annual "Daddy/Daughter Date Night." Last year, I asked her several times to attend, but my Princess just wasn't interested. This year, however, once she saw the flyer for it about a month ago, she wouldn't shut up about it. At.All.

Being the observant guy that I am, I figured she wanted to go this year, so I reserved us a couple of spots. Very glad I did (pretty sure she is, too)

The place was crowded--I'm not sure how many I expected, but it wasn't half of who showed up. I think it was more than they expected, too, based on some of the things the DJ said. But the staff, while clearly over their heads, did yeoman's work, keeping things fun for the girls--dancing, snacks, corsages, a little make-your-own-necklace craft table, portraits, snacks, games and so on.

Oh! and the best face-painting that the Princess has ever been on the receiving end of. Can't forget that.

It was enjoyable just to watch the dad's dote on and goof around with their daughters. There were some girls who clearly would've been embarrassed as anything by their fathers if there had been any boys present; but in their absence of them, they were having a lot of fun.

Anyway, a good time was had by all, and as we left, she started making plans for next year. Including the need for us to practice dancing a bit more--she clearly felt uncomfortable on the dance floor. Sure, part of it was intimidation being in the presence of a modern-day Astaire, whether he's her father or not--and who can blame her? I'm looking forward to it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is she growing up or what? Can't wait to see you all. She is becoming quite the little lady.

Hobster said...

she sure is. Looking forward to seeing you, too....whoever you are.

Anonymous said...

Dude, these kids are growing up...I feel really old :/

kletois

Hobster said...

I know what you mean, bro, I know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

AHHH! Hob has hair!

Lockheed said...

she looks like her mom, you lucky dog.

Hobster said...

Amen, brother, Amen.