Friday, August 10, 2007

Getting Psyched

One of the best pieces of advice we ever got on Homeschooling was to remember who's in charge--the parents, not the materials used. Expressly, this dad (who graduated 2 HS'ers before it was cool) said, "Take dominion over the curriculum." (I'm sure his expression and devotion to Rushdooney are purely coincidental)

Especially after watching several friends slavishly follow along with the book/video/whatever and wondering just what role the parents were playing in their education beyond flashing their MasterCards, we've always striven to do just that. Usually just in minor ways, because the stuff we bought was pretty good to begin with, but sometimes we seriously deviated (which was always a lot more fun for me)

Well for Frodo's work this coming year, we've stepped up our dominion taking and have come up with a totally custom-built package that should play to his strengths and chop away at his weaknesses. And, as an added plus, should save us $400 or so (while giving him the same amount, if not more, work).

I've just placed the first order, The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child by Susan Wise Bauer. This is so much more promising than the anemic Bob Jones text he's used before. Can't wait 'til Sept. 4th!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're using that with our second child. I think you'll like it. I like to use it as a guide and I add extra lit./ biographies when I can. There is a workbook which I didn't use that others have said has some interesting things in it.
Have a great homeschooling year :)