Saturday, August 18, 2007

Annoyed Musings on an Enjoyable Read

Started reading a new book this morning, and I'm really enjoying it. This annoys me greatly.

You see, the author is a not-notorious-enough heretic. And while she's not writing on anything theological in this particular book--so far the only reference to God is a borderline 3rd commandment violation--it bugs me that she's writing so well.

In theory and, generally, in practice, I have no problem with the unbeliever/pagan/false religion adherent producing thoughtful, useful, enjoyable work. A quick look at my bookshelves; CD/DVD collection; list of doctors/nurses/medical technicians/pharmacists; technology a depend on; or non-homemade food I eat will testify to that. To put it another way--I do not look at the cow's statement of faith before sitting down to my Oreoes and 2%.

Call this a firm conviction in Common Grace (if only to annoy PRC-types), a perception of the marred, but present imago Dei (to tip the cap to Van Til), noticing the borrowed capital of the Christian worldview (to echo Bahnsen), or simply an acknowledgment that the rain does indeed fall on the just and unjust alike (because the speaker of those words trumpse those--and all other--authorities). Whatever label you put on it, I typically have no problem listening to and gleaning from the non-Christian (unless their voice is annoying, like Carl Sagan's).*

So why does this gal being right annoy me so?

Part of it, I think, has to do with truth in labeling. It bugs me when G. W. Bush is dubbed a conservative, Dominos Pizza is called tasty, or Jay Leno is described as funny. So when reviewer after reviewer (whether it be a New York Times-type or TrendianityChristianityToday-type) calls this gal a Christian, my dander gets up. This probably colors my read of her.

Maybe a little closer to the real issue is how inside-my-head this book feels. I know that even after almost 2 regenerated decades my perceptions, understanding and reasoning embody Romans 3:23, but for this book to resonate so with me, maybe it indicates that my sanctification hasn't progressed as much as I like to think it has.

Maybe it's something else altogether. The fact that I can't quite put my finger on it is almost as annoying as the fact that I'm enjoying it so. Anyway, back to my book.

-----

*I just have to point this out because I'm accused of the contrary so often. In principle, this applies to theology as well. I can and do regularly learn from the heterodox--charismatic, dispensational, Arminian, baptist, etc.

2 comments:

Susan a.k.a Lucy said...

Am I missing something? Indulge your friend at the least with an email answer to this query (I'm in horrendous pain from dental work and up to 3 vicodin a day....ready to have tooth yanked from head to make it stop!) What is the book/author?

Lucy

Hobster said...

I'd love to email it to ya, but yours is one of the many, many, many addresses I lost in my computer crashes this spring...