Friday, March 02, 2007

Three Years Down...

Wow...three years already. Arnold, my boy, Frodo and Sam have taught me just about everything I know about being a dad (Frodo by being first, Sam by being totally different than Frodo), but you've taught me a lot more about life than just about anything and anyone else. I learned what fear can really feel and taste like when you went back to the hospital on Day 3--I learned how to hold on by faith to our Shepherd's rod and staff from that, too. And in the aftermath, I learned how tenous our grip on life really is--and how precious life can be. Now, as a result of that, I've treated you with kid-gloves, and let you get away with things that your siblings never would've. You and I will pay the price for that in years to come, but I'm not going to change my approach. (I have, however, started saving for your therapists)

But 'til then, you are the gentlest, the sweetest person I've ever met. I am a better person because of your presence in my life. God has truly blessed me through you, and I pray those blessings keep coming for many, many years. I love you, little buddy. Happy birthday.


He was being insufferably cute last weekend, so some bonus pics:
really not sure how this got to be his "super happy smile," but am learning that when I get this I've done very good :)

1 comments:

rustypth said...

Happy Birthday d00d!!!