Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Crais' Latest

I've set aside most of my current reading because Robert Crais just released his latest, The Watchman. I will admit that I was very nervous about this book heading into it, because this is being billed as "The First Joe Pike Novel." I just didn't think the idea would work. Instead of the focus being on his partner, Elvis Cole, this time we're treated to seeing things from Pike's POV (thankfully not told in first person, because I really don't think that'd work at all). I'm glad Parker has decided to not write a Hawk novel, Stout writing from Wolfe's perspective wouldn't have been the same (we need Archie in order to like his boss), LeHane having Patrick and Angel play second-fiddle to Bubba would just be scary.

But so far, I'm really enjoying this book. I could easily have finished it in one sitting--but am forcing myself to take a week or so to work through it. Lovin' this thing. Mr. Crais, sorry for doubting you.

0 comments: