Sunday, March 05, 2006

It's Funny Because It's True (or it could be anyway)

This story is almost certainly satire (given it comes from a satire site), but you never can be sure: Jobless Rate for Christian Satirists Skyrockets as Churches Beomce Parodies on Their Own

A twenty year veteran of the Christian humor business, Carmichael was at the height of his game when suddenly the line between satire and reality began to blur this last year. The pivotal moment came when Carmichael mocked up a fake "Biblezine for Girls" and everyone thought it was real. Said Carmichael, "It had Britney Spear’s photo on the cover with the headline: 'Hit Me, Jesus, One More Time: Finding God’s Truth in Pop Song Lyrics'. I knew I was in trouble when Christianity Today thought I was submitting an ad from Family Christian bookstore. Worse yet, Zondervan wanted to sue me for stealing the cover idea for their upcoming 'Hey, Girlfriend!' Bible. How was I supposed to know?"

0 comments: