Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ed: the Next Generation

A few weeks ago, TV Guide's Matt Roush wrote:

No one dies in the pilot episode of the mid-season charmer Love Monkey..., and that has me worried. Can CBS and its audience embrace an hourlong show that dares to exist outside the world of the crime-drama procedural?
I laughed when I read that, and then I realized he's probably right. But, hang it all, I don't care. I'm going to enjoy this burst of creativity and diversity over on the Eye as long as it lasts.

Here's the set-up. Show centers around Tom Farrell--who's basically Ed Stevens--everyone's favorite bowling alley lawyer (and I'm not just saying that because Tom Cavanaugh plays him...but it helps)--except his job is less plausible, he's a record executive with an ear for talent.

Actually, I'm kidding a bit there. This show is a lot more plausible then Ed ever could've--or should've--been. The supporting characters (ex-NFL player sportscaster pal; token hip and black bud; plastic surgeon friend/brother-in-law; cute and platonic gal pal; sister) are just as quirky and witty, but not as strange. Not totally sold on all the supporting characters/cast, but I like them. Jason Priestly's plastic surgeon Mike Freed character is Judy Greer's Brandy are the exceptions there. Bang up job there. I can't believe I just said that about a 90210 alum. Gotta go take a shower...

Having Tom work in the music industry provides: a reason for a great soundtrack, some good characters--both for one-shot and longer stories--and some great cameos (LeAnn Rimes, Aimee Mann, and Ben Folds--ya!).

So far the one constant in the music industry is Tom's new find, Wayne, played by Teddy Geiger. Wayne's very, um, John Mayer-esque. But, unlike Mayer, I like to listen to him. Dunno how much of Geiger there is in Wayne. But if the real new artist's record sounds like the fictional artists...I'm all over it.

So, Love Monkey. Tuesdays on CBS before CSI:*.* No blood, no cool camera effects, no cops. Just nice people.

12 comments:

kletois said...

"No blood, no cool camera effects, no cops. Just nice people." ...sounds like hell

Anonymous said...

You just can't get away from the fact that it is a part of secular TV. Not a piece of valuable time spent in my opinion.
D.

rustypth said...

dlg,

Recreation as we experience it today is rather new to human history. Quite unique, no doubt about it. But making a broad statement like "watching any secular TV show is an invaluable use of one's time" is rather unfair.

Would you agree that it isn't "secular tv" that is a problem, but too much time spent watching TV in general that is a problem? I should state that I do not believe all TV shows are appropriate to watch, but if they are appropriate, why not use part of one's recreation (relaxation) time to watch TV? It is no different than going to see a movie, hanging out a theme park, sports, hanging at Starbucks, or any other activity.

Spending too much time on any activity might is the real issue: making activities an idol in one's life.

But not all secular TV shows are inherently sinful.

Thanks,
Rusty

Unknown said...

Wow, weird... just as I read the end of your post, a Teddy Geiger song came onto LaunchCast. (And, btw, it's a catchy tune)
In any event, I was skeptical about giving this show a whirl, but now I think I'll try to tune in. Might be a hard sell on Nitty though... methinks the only reason he watches 'How I Met Your Mother' with me is because he still sees Alyson Hannigan as Willow. ;-)

If you'll excuse me, I have to go lick my wounds now as I recover from seeing both CSI *and* John Mayer dissed in the same post. ;-)

Hobster said...

LOL...no dis on CSI. Just on CBS's overuse of it and its clones. (Mayer, on the other hand....)

Well Nitty can breathe a sigh of relief. Was just announced that it's being "shelved" for the Amazing Race and some other drama after that.

My original title for the post was "I'm now cursing this show to a quick cancellation."

Unknown said...

Ignoring the Mayer quip... ;-)... I do agree that CBS is overusing CSI. Personally, I'm still waiting for CSI:Hicktown so we can all view the scintillating way small town criminalists handle stuff like bar brawls and cattle disputes. :-D
Maybe next season.

Nitty will be relieved indeed as he's an Amazing Race junkie. Oh well. I seem to have the same effect on shows I watch from the beginning. If it's an established show I jump in on midstream, it does great. If it's a brand new show, it dies before season two.

kletois said...

"Might be a hard sell on Nitty though... methinks the only reason he watches 'How I Met Your Mother' with me is because he still sees Alyson Hannigan as Willow. ;-)"

Spidey, Im sorry, but Alyson IS Willow (and always will be, amen)!

Anonymous said...

Rusty,
Usually when one uses quotations, the information contained therein reflects a direct quote. I did not write what you quoted. I stand by what I said. Sitting down to view a television program is not what I would consider a lot of valuable time spent. Not to mention the sexually oriented and immorally based commercials that dulls ones values for intermission. TV anyone?
D

kletois said...

1000 lashes for Rusty's misquote, shame on you Rusty!

rustypth said...

dlg –

My purpose in using quotation marks was to further explain the position you appear to be advocating, not to purposely misquote you – I would think this is fairly obvious since all one has to do is scroll up a wee bit to check =)

When you say (Warning: direct quote is on its way), “I did not write what you quoted,” do you mean that you disagree with how I paraphrased your position? Here is how I paraphrased your position: “watching any secular TV show is an invaluable use of one's time.” And when we consider what you said in your recent comment (Warning: direct quote): “I stand by what I said. Sitting down to view a television program is not what I would consider a lot of valuable time spent,” it looks like I was right on the mark.

Next, you wrote (Warning: direct quote), “Not to mention the sexually oriented and immorally based commercials that dulls ones values for intermission.” It seems that you assume all television channels/times have the same kind of content. This assumption is false. Certain channels contain inappropriate content on a regular basis. Other channels are morally safe. The time of day also affects the kind of content on certain channels. Other channels, the content is morally appropriate no matter the time of day. What it comes down to is that the discerning Christian is more than capable of guarding himself by what he watches.

However, if it is your position that watching even appropriate TV is a waste of time, I would remind you that how the Christian spends his free time is up to him – so long as it is Biblically acceptable. Christians have the liberty to decide this for themselves.

Rusty

Anonymous said...

(Big Yawn) Shouldn't you be watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer or something? I'm sure there's a television show you should be watching...I need to go read my Bible. ha ha ha ha

Hobster said...

oookay, I'm pretty sure this has passed the stage of usefulness and constructiveness. Let's draw this one to a close, shall we? (unless you have actual comments on the content of the post). Think we all have better things to do with our time.

I might suggest digesting Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death (along with his other works); Gregory Reynolds' The Word Is Worth a Thousand Pictures: Preaching in the Electronic Age; not to mention the contributions of Brian Godawa, Gene Veith, Ken Myers, Marshal McLuhan, Carl Trueman, and Michael S. Horton on Postmodernism/Entertainment Culture/The World & the Church.

Once that's done, perhaps a quick look at some basic Christian critiques of Gnosticism would be in order...