Monday, April 12, 2010

Baked Grapefruit

Dipping my toe into the waters of Food Blogging. As I'm not much of a cook, don't expect a lot of these. This is not gonna be Hob & Julia (or Hob & Alton or even Hob & Fritz [Brenner]), never fear.*

No, I'm not showing off the fact that I'm eating grapefruit, there was actually a little effort involved. Very little.

First off, separate the grapefruit into sections, then sprinkle 1/2 tbsp. onto each half, and then drizzle 1/2 tbsp. of honey on top of that. Bake the suckers at 350 for 12-15 minutes, or until there's a nice carmelized top on the halves. I went with 12, and think that a couple extra minutes would've helped.

The result is nice enough to make it worth the effort, just the right amount of sweetness to compliment the grapefruit. I should also add that warm grapefruit is much nicer than I'd ever have expected.

It's suggested to garnish with a little mint, but that's a tad too much trouble for me on a Monday morning, so I can't say if that helps things.

I Found this idea over at Food2.com while looking for breakfast ideas for the family, but out of mercy, I didn't try it for the whole family (that's mercy for my wife and I so we didn't have to hear all the keening and wailing the sight of the fruit would bring out in the kids).

Naturally, after I've started digesting this (rendering another photograph impossible), I see an article on food photography over at lifehacker.com. Oh well...


* Unless, of course, we're talking some sort of sponsorship deal, 'cuz I'll sell out for peanuts. Well, make that almonds, I am trying to eat better.

0 comments: