Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Post

I tried several times today to write something along the lines of the near-obligatory Thanksgiving post, and got no where. I didn't get as far as I planned/wanted to/coulda/shoulda with NaNoWriMo either (got 1400 words out of a goal of 2700). Was at my mother's today and let myself get distracted by the relatives too much.

Still not sure I'm going to end up saying what I wanted to, but I think the quotation Dr. Clark posted to the Heidelblog today from Ursinus on True Thankfulness will help. In particular this portion:

Thankfulness in general is a virtue acknowledging and professing the person from whom we have received benefits, as well as the greatness of the benefits themselves, with a desire to perform towards our benefactor such reciprocal duties as are becoming and possible. It includes truth and justice. Truth, because it acknowledges and makes mention of the benefits received : and justice, because it desires to return thanks equal to that which has been received.

First off, let me acknowledge my cyber-pals, bros & sisters. In particular, kletois, bluewoad, Micah and SpideyGeek (not an exhaustive list by any means). You are a source of laughter, encouragement, and conviction that I dare try to do without. Thanks so much.

Secondly, the Offspring. (pictured below with their cousin and one of my favorite bugs) Thanks for being you. Thanks for giving me a reason to get moving every morning, to keep plodding through the afternoon, and frequently a reason to rejoice that I can rest in the evening and let someone else take over. Mostly kidding there. You guys are the best--more than I should hope for and far greater than a schlub like me deserves.


Thirdly, to The Love of my Life. For everything.



Lastly, to the Lord Jesus Christ, God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit. "Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might be to our God forever and ever! Amen."

0 comments: