Monday, November 17, 2008

Random Quotes on Liberty and the Loss Thereof

One of the quotes from my iGoogle's Quote of the Day widget has been percolating in the back of my mind today. Which got me to compiling this little list--mostly so I have a handy place to come and grab from in the future. Most are oldies but goodies. The last one on the list is the one that got me going, and I should add, that I definitely hate the source material it came from, just so I don't get slammed in the comments :)

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
-- James Madison


When the government fears the people it is a democracy....when the people fear their government it is tyranny...
-- Thomas Jefferson


Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin


The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home.
-– James Madison


Fascism will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a Bible.
-- Sinclair Lewis


So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause.
-- George Lucas

0 comments: