Thursday, May 22, 2008

A More Savage Place Than You Remember

I am, of course, speaking of whatever room they lock C. S. Lewis' novels in with the screenwriters.

Naturally, the fam and I went to Prince Caspian last weekend. Frankly, I'm not that sure how to respond, I had two trains of thought going through my mind as I watched the movie, and they're still pretty much on the same tracks. On the one hand, I thought it was a fun family movie, a good sequel to the first movie. On the other hand...it took so many liberties with the novel, it made Peter Jackson look like a slave to Tolkein's The Two Towers.

On the pro side, you have great performances, wonderful sets, costumes, makeup, etc. Georgie Henley aged a bit faster than she should've (curse these parents, like the Potter kids' folks who care for their children so well), but still sold it. I was still more than content to see Narnia through her eyes. Skandar Keynes stepped up his performance (not that I had much to complain about) and really shined as Edmund. I've probably seen more of Peter Dinklage than almost any other actor this year, and his performance as Trumpkin shows why I'm seeing him everywhere.

The children's reactions when they first return to Narnia, as they figured out where (and when) they are, and what that meant for their friends...great. Wonderful. I also appreciated the exploration of the idea that the Kings and Queens had abandoned Narnia all those years ago.

On the con side...where to begin? It really felt like someone wrote down about half the scenes of the novel on index cards, shuffled them, and then wrote the screenplay. It's really a shame that where LWW was more faithful than most, this film departed so much. Individually considered, I could defend most (not all) of the changes, including some of the new scenes--not unlike the scene with Tumnus and Edward in LWW. But all of them? Nope, sorry.

My biggest beef is, of course, the attack on Miraz's castle (and the rivalry between Peter and Caspian that spurred Peter on). Very uncharacteristic of Peter--and so unnecessary! I'll spare everyone another verse of "Trust the Source Material!" but...gak. What were Adamson et al thinking?!?!

I also would've enjoyed (but didn't expect to see in detail) Aslan and the Queens romping through the countryside awakening the land. In particular, I wanted to see Aslan freeing the children from their schools--knew that was a pipe dream.

Incidentally, outside of the Pevensies, Caspian, and Miraz, I think I heard characters referred to by their names no more than once. Most, including Reepicheep, are never called by their name! It's a minor thing, but it really bugged me. Not just because names like Reepicheep, Trumpkin, Nikabrik, and Doctor Cornelius are fun, but names are important. Also, it's so much easier to discuss films if you can call characters by their names rather than, "You know...that guy with the thing. No, not that guy, the other thing."

A friend called this flick a bastardization. And it is one. But a good one, one I wouldn't mind watching again on DVD (which is a good thing, cuz I know I'll have to see it a few dozen times the week it's released).

(updated and reposted to plug Loyal Reader #3's take, in which she reminds me of some of the things I meant to gripe about)

3 comments:

girlfriday said...

Dude. You're right about the names. Shows how much more interested in style over substance Adamson was.

Bring on the new director! And Godspeed.

girlfriday said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rosemarie said...

I hate it when they muck up something that I hold near and dear but I still like it...not for what it claims to be but for what it is. It feels like being disloyal to a friend. There's nothing as good as being lost in a book. Movies will always come second albeit a close second. I'll wait for the DVD, thanks :)