Wednesday, March 26, 2008

TV Catch-All

Random-ish thoughts on what I've been watching/not-watching lately. Basically, since the beginning of the Writer's Strike, whatever's been on TV has been 'stuff to watch 'til BSG and Burn Notice return (with Chuck close behind).' Now, during that period I did find a few things that are very worth watching, but I also found a few that just weren't. But anyway....

John Rich made the dumbest TV choice since Fox's cancellation of Firefly). Gone Country was marginally entertaining at best--other than for the few moments when they focused on music: singing, performing, song-writing--rather than making their stars/victims look foolish in various ways. But something about the show kept us watching from the get-go--our viewing of the premier was a combination of "there's nothing else on/to-do tonight" and "you've got to be kidding me...they're really trying this?" And then after watching faithfully after that, Rich reveals that this has all been just an elaborate set up, like the 1919 World Series or every WWE match.

I briefly held out hope that my faith in Reality TV could be restored once American Idol finished all their audition phases (with a mercifully changed Hollywood Week--tho I did miss all the fighting that went along with the group sing). Particularly with the (first) all-Lennon/McCartney night. I was filled with dread actually by the prospect, and didn't watch it live so I could use my DVR's 360x playback speed (and/or 'Delete' function) if the show went as badly as I feared. But it was actually a pretty good episode--yeah, there were a couple of disasters--but on the whole, it was probably the best performance episode for the top 12. But I found myself just not caring. I skipped most of the next performance, and didn't watch a bit of last night's--not sure I'll watch the rest of this year. These are supposedly the best finalists in the show's 7 years, but I can't seem to care too much about them. Say what you will about Sanjaya, Scott Savol, or Constantine--they got a reaction. Most of these people--including the ringers--induce yawns. I really like Brooke White, but if she wins, she'll make Taylor Hicks' sales figures look like Carrie Underwood's. Ditto for Lisa EdelsteinJason Castro. I just don't get the appeal of Michael Johns (the downunder Tim Daly)--why do voters/the judges like him? Archuleta's nice, a near-lock to win, and duller than a very used plastic butter knife. What can I say about David "I wanna be Chris Daughtry when I grow up" Cook? Really put off by him...the smugness, they way he does the same thing to every song (mostly ripping off a hard-edged cover of something)...his apparent refusal to use shampoo. A friend of mine (with typically decent taste) recently said something about Cook growing on her--I almost air-mailed her some anti-fungal cream. (I appropriated a couple of jokes here from Ken Levine, who's weekly Idol recaps should be must reading for those who watch the show)

The Return of Jezebel James. Wow. If Amy Sherman was looking for something to remind people that she wasn't always the genius behind Gilmore Girls, that she was also a 'genius' behind Veronica's Closet, she found it. Kind of Fox to kill it before people forgot they like her.

New Amsterdam is, um, a decent way to kill an hour. I dig the premise, I like Omar and John, the cop-stuff is tolerable, the backstory things are interesting. But if I didn't have to stay awake all night, and therefore spend a lot of time watching TV, I doubt I'd stick with it. I can't help but quote Marv Wolfman here.

But I do have a question: how come I didn't get that memo that obviously was sent to everyone in Hollywood that said all new cop series had to feature a light-haired male lead and a beautiful Hispanic partner who doesn't like/get along with the hero until she begrudgingly realizes how good he is. We saw this done in Eureka, Life and now New Amsterdam.
Canterbury's Law is about the as good--an okay way to spend some time. It's reminiscent of early episodes of The Practice, but probably won't last as long. It's far superior to Eli Stone, tho, which I gave up on after four episodes.

About the time that the strike started, I put Season 1 of The Wire on my Netflix queue, and so did many, many other people apparently. Six weeks later I got Disc 1 and 2. The story-telling was skillful, there was real talent behind the scripts, and a good deal of it in front of the cameras, too. But it wasn't until Disk 3 that I cared what happened to any of the characters--I was about to write it off as not my cup of tea at that point--and then I was addicted. Now I have to live with the fact that the series finale just aired? Ahhh, I'm the master of bad timing.

I'm tempted to go on and on about In Treatment here, but think I'll put that off a few days and give it its own post.

Am very glad that CBS has it's comedies back in production--particularly How I Met Your Mother. The St. Patty's episode was a good turning point in the season, and I can't wait to see where they take it from here. The Big Bang Theory is still silly fun.

Speaking of comedies, I'm grateful that TBS puts entire episodes of their original series on their website. My Boys was another mid-strike discovery on my part. It'll never be considered a great sit-com. But it's a good one. And given the state of sit-coms today, good ones are a real rarity.

I lost interest in what kletois called The Summer Glau Chronicles during episode 2, and number 3 didn't help. I've got the rest of the season on the ol' DVR--klet, Julie, anyone...do I finish it?

I think that about covers it (hope so...it's long enough). Is there anything on the air now that I should watching?

2 comments:

Gerald So said...

Have you seen Reaper on The CW?

Hobster said...

Yes indeedy, I do. Have my 9 yr old addicted to it, too (tho I do pre-screen the episodes for him).

I don't think it's lived up to the pilot, sadly. And I think it pales next to Chuck. But it's good fun--and as long as Ray Wise (who I really only knew from playing that entertainment lawyer on The Closer--a decent warm up to playing Satan) is around, I'll stick with it.

The first post-strike episode was one of the strongest yet--the Devil was more apparently evil, not just Sam's super-powered life coach--it gives me a little hope that the show can get back to it's potential.