Sunday, October 30, 2005

Triumph of the Lamb

The United Reformed Church in Boise held their annual conference this weekend. Dennis Johnson, prof at WTS-Escondido and author of Triumph of the Lamb: A Commentary on Revelation, was this year's speaker.

attendance was typically small--which I find odd for a decent sized church that invites a few others. I counted people from at least 3 congregations there, and there were 28 of us Saturday morning. Still, it was worth it.

Friday night, however, was the first time I stopped moving in a few days. I'm guessing I was conscious for about 1/4 - 1/3 of it. In a crowd that small, am sure that he was very aware of it. ugh.

The lectures Saturday were pretty good, fairly interesting...even if I didn't agree with some of the interpretation. He gave the most fair and accurate description of the postmill position I've ever heard from an amiller.

All in all, well worth the time. Next year, they're planning on Robert Godfrey speaking. I'll drink a couple of gallons of coffee that afternoon so I don't have a repeat of this one ;)

2 comments:

rustypth said...

oddly enough, a friend just recommended Johnson's book to me =)

Hobster said...

I bought the book right when it came out a couple years ago--have yet to read it. Looks good. But I've been inspired to read it as soon as I have time.

I thought about flipping through the book Friday night, looking for the material he'd present Saturday, so I could ask him an informed question and look a little less stupid. Due to my eyes closing w/o my permission, I didn't get that done. I did read his closing chapter, which was basically answering the question "other than for the sake of figuring out what it all means, why read Revelation?" Very good chapter--better if you accept all his conclusions, which I don't--but still very worth the read.