Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Of the making of lists there is no end

Ye Olde Crusty Curmudgeon has linked to Time Magazine's list of 100 Best English Language Novels written during the magazine's existence. Like Ransom, I've read 14 of the 100, tho' I think his list commends him more highly for taste and overall piety than mine.

Animal Farm - George Orwell Really enjoyed this book, haven't re-read it as often as I'd imagined I would. The essay I had to write on it in 10th Grade was the first time I can remember working a joke into something I wrote. All downhill from there. :)
The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler My favorite Chandler book, can't remember how many times I've read it. Some absolutely classic lines...a novel that defined a genre.
The Day of the Locust - Nathanael West I don't understand why this novel and West aren't talked about or taught more. At the same time, I don't remember many novels that featured more depraved and bleaker characters. Which probably answers my question.
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck I hated this book, truly. 'Tho the 3rd time I read it, I appreciated Steinbeck's work more, I really, really, really hated it. I will force my kids to read it, because it's one of those things you have to have read. But, I won't blame them for begrudging the experience.
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald When I first read this book, I held it in about the same esteem as the previous entry, but it grew on me. Don't know that I can say I'd pick it up again, but I wouldn't mind--and would probably enjoy--doing so.
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis Goes without saying that I agree with this one.
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov Bring on the hate mail: I love this book. I love Nabokov's use of language, the way he makes you sympathize with this scumbag of a narrator and then with a word or two makes you recoil in horror that you've done so. One of the all time best opening lines, IMHO. Absolutely lyrical.
Lord of the Flies - William Golding You can't fine a better depiction of total depravity by any extra-canonical writer. Sadly, that's the best I can say for the book
The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien Again, genre defining. Must read.
Neuromancer - William Gibson This book, this author, rocked my world. Always a joy to read. Ransom's probably right, Snow Crash is better. But you couldn't have gotten SC without this.
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson I personally enjoyed Stephenson's The Diamond Age more, and think it shows a more mature author. But you can't beat the pacing, the style, the language.
The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner You could sentence me to a lifetime of Faulkner reading, and I wouldn't complain too much. I would probably have selected other titles by him for the list, but can't knock this one.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee When I compile my list of best/favorite novels this one competes with the next on the list for the top spot, and usually ends up winning. I tried to get my daughter named Scout once upon a time. Come to think of it, I think I lobbied for Harper, too. Anyway, Great book. Must, must, must read. And then re-read.
White Noise - Don DeLillo ummm, hello. Look at the top of the page! Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.
The English Major in me reacts somewhat defensively to my poor showing on the list: I have started a handful of the others, and for one reason or another didn't finish. Have read other works by authors that made the list. A few (not that many) are on my "must read before death" list--I even own some of those. But on the whole, Time would consider me an Philistine. But that's okay, I've been a Newsweek reader for almost 2 decades now anyway, so they'd think me suspect from the get-go :)

3 comments:

rustypth said...

i was surprised to discover that i've read about half the list. guess public education isn't ALL bad =)

Hobster said...

wow! color me impressed!

girlfriday said...

I've only read five of the above. You won't catch me reading Faulkner or Steinbeck anytime soon, either.

As for Animal Farm, I agree that it's superior to 1984, but for prophetic nonfiction it doesn't get any better than Brave New World.