Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Up and Coming Time Lord



By now, everyone who cares has likely seen the above photo, which the BBC released after it announced the successor to David Tennant, Matt Smith. Frankly, at first glance, the Flock of Seagulls hair, age, oddly rectangular face, and general un-Tennant-ness has left me cold. I'm trying to trust Steven Moffat...he's certainly given us plenty of reason to

But like any self-respecting nerd with too much time on his hands should, I did some research. He doesn't have much of a resume, truth be told. One of his biggest roles, from what I've read was in The Ruby in the Smoke. Through the magic of Netflix I've just watched a lot of that--couldn't watch it all, it was a mess--the fact that I watched 3/4s of it is a testimony to my devotion to Doctor Who. Most of the problems, I'm sure, can be laid at the feet of the writer/director/editor. But I'm also pretty sure that not all of Philip Pullman's literary sins are contained in his His Dark Materials series.

What did I learn about Matt Smith from this experience? A few things:
  1. Smith can talk fast.
  2. Smith can run.
  3. Smith can pull off one of those funny accents that so many people on the BBC tend to display.
  4. Smith can interact well with Billie Piper.
Think that covers the basic requirements for the contemporary Doctor Who (although I trust the Piper stuff won't come up once he steps into The Police Box). Now I just have to wait for 2010 to see what he does with it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt Smith has also appeared in a Beeb series called 'Party Animals'. While the premise is good ( twenty somethings involved in British politics ), it wasn't much of a hit with the viewer. I haven't seen it myself so I can't tell you if its a shocker or not.

kletois

Hobster said...

right...that one looked more difficult to get, and the clips I saw of it on Doctor Who Confidential didn't really make me want to exert myself.

At least with this flick, I could count on Billie Piper and Julie Walters to be interesting (sadly, even they couldn't save this drek)

Lockheed said...

im scared

Lockheed said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ79pCJBcJ8

The perfect gift.