Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Counted a Few Gestating Chicks

Boy, was I ever wrong when I said that I'd put my streak of bad movies behind me. Really wrong.

Last night, I put on hold watching the last three episodes of Damages, Season 1 to watch Repo! The Genetic Opera.

I can't quite come up with a way to summarize this thing, so I'll just copy and paste the blurb Netflix gives it:

In the near future, a biotech company saves mankind with synthetic replacements for failed organs. But those who default on their new liver or heart are subject to repossession. Shilo (Alexa Vega) navigates this dystopia while searching for a cure for her rare illness. Her odyssey is set to a number of catchy songs in this tongue-in-cheek opera. Paris Hilton, Paul Sorvino, Anthony Head and Sarah Brightman round out the deliciously diverse cast.
So why'd I grab that? Well, the premise could work in a SF flick if done right, I hadn't seen Sorvino in a dog's age, I always like Anthony Head, and I'll admit I wanted to see how bad the Hilton train-wreck would be. Essentially, it was quirky enough that I figured there was a good chance it'd work.

Just ask the Philadelphia Eagles, a good chance is no guarantee.

The songs were catchy (supposedly a record 64 were composed for the movie), some of the lyrics weren't horrible, most of the singing was good. The story was paint-by-numbers, the characters were cartoons (and not in a good way), and...words are failing me--look at the cast, look at the premise and think gothic rock opera. What more really do I have to say? Oh yeah, I could say that the director was the same, um, individual that brought us the first 3 Saw sequels.

Then again, it wasn't Napoleon Dynamite. Shouldn't complain too much.

0 comments: