Thursday, December 04, 2008

Remembering the "M" in MTV

turns out, I still Want My MTV.

You youngsters (yeah, you Julie) may not remember this, but once upon a time MTV stood for "Music Television." They would play--practically all day--filmed commercials for songs/albums (including those mysterious artifacts called "LPs"), called "music videos." If you happen to catch the station at the right time of day, every fourth Thursday, I understand you can catch the occasional video sandwiched between strange dating shows and whatnot. Many of these videos were very creative, in fact.

MTV's new website, MTV Music, has just about every one of those videos--and current stuff--for playing online (and in better quality than you can find on youtube). And without Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, or J. J. Jackson! Alas, also no Martha Quinn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didnt MTV die awhile back, like in the early 90s?


- kletois

Gary Horn said...

I used to enjoy MTV, because there were some truly creative music videos being made back in the day (Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" comes to mind). I've never had cable, but I used to watch it where-ever I could.

Thank you for passing on this info, Hoyster! I can continue to avoid cable.