Monday, June 09, 2008

Well, that's that

Back home now, and feeling surprisingly well. Had the rudest post-op nurse. Refused to really answer any of my questions, ignored what I said about how I felt, kept telling me I wouldn't remember any of what she said, no matter how coherent I told her I was (I think the fact I was using coherent correctly within a minute from coming out of the general should've got me a little consideration).

Oh, and, as for not remembering anything? I could give a pretty accurate transcript right now--not Archie Goodwin verbatim level, but pretty close.

If I keep feeling the way I am, the biggest challenges that face me are keeping the diet restrictions (can't eat for 8 hours before and 24 hrs after! good gravy!) and finding some way past the sentry tonight to make it to work.

7 comments:

Lockheed said...

Glad you're out of the op, I had that procedure a few years back. Did you get the stint? Getting that out is VERY WEIRD. :)

Hobster said...

oh yeah, got the stint. Am downright freaked out about having to remove it. Something tells me you're understating things there... :)

Lockheed said...

LOL - when the doc says "don't bear down" he means don't tighten up down there... like when you're not done but someone walks in on you.

Hobster said...

you sure paint a vivid word picture there, pal. Ugh.

At the same time, feel free to pass along any more tips...my doc gave me zero.

Lockheed said...

u know, mine were silent too. They don't tell you what to expect at all. The pain-when-you-go thing should lessen in a couple days. Careful with the strings... as you can imagine.

You won't feel the stint, until they start to pull it out, its has come out all-at-once and its going to be strange and disorienting...

You're going to spill... don't be ashamed, in fact, if you try not to that's "bearing down". The doc will probably not understand why you're freaked-out... and explaining doesn't seem to help: "A 2' long plastic thing just came out of THERE... you gotta admit, that's weird." Doc: "Yeah... ok."

If there is burning pain afterwards, put ice pack on affected area... ahhhhhh.

Lockheed said...

Oh, and since my surgery, I've only had a few tiny stones in that kidney... the OTHER kidney however has been a constant problem, nothing large though. I get kidney pain at least once a month now. Apparently, the doc told me, if you get them often, you'll deal with them the rest of your life. Enjoy!

girlfriday said...

MAKE IT STOP!

Okay, glad it's over too. Pops never had to have the surgery, but I don't want to be around when he gets martyred.