Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I knew something wasn't right lately...

It's snowing! We've got snow everywhere. Lots of it. According to the state's largest newspaper (which frequently gets things correct) 1/9 will be the first Snow Day for Government Schools in this part of the state since 1993. 1993? Really? That long? I knew our winters hadn't been up to snuff for awhile, but 15 years? That blows me away.

The way in to work tonight was a drag, to be honest--my co-worker, driving in her first real snow of her life was 30 minutes late. But, there's a part of me that really enjoyed it. Haven't spent too much time analyzing the why's and wherefore's of that enjoyment, but here's a few off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts:

  1. TLoML hates driving in snow--even a little bit of it. So when it's time for her to go to work today, she'll call on me, her Man, for help. Not often I get to feel all Iron John-like. If you hear me doing my killer Tim Allen impression over the next few days, this is why.
  2. I'm a native Idahoan. Which makes me a minority in most of the jobs I've held post-high school. Which, yeah, bothers me. I don't have a lot against those people who move to the state because of what it offers in way of nature, space, etc. (although too many of those types miss the irony of all the space, scenery and whatnot being destroyed to make room for them). What bothers me are the people who come here solely for the cheaper standard of living and complain non-stop about our infrastructure, government, politics, culture, welfare rules, weather, etc. etc. etc. I've worked with too many of those--particularly now. And I know they're all hating this weather--and all I have to say about that is, "HA. You moved here. This is Idaho." The person who will be relieving me at the end of my shift is a fantastic example of this. And I'm going to enjoy her misery more than I should.
  3. [please note I never said anything about these things making me sound like a good person]
  4. But most of all, is this feels right. This is what winter is supposed to feel, sound, and look like. It's supposed to be cold. It's supposed to be white. It's supposed to be wet. Lawns aren't supposed to be seen this time of year. And up until when I graduated UI (they still had snow days in northern Idaho after '93), that's what winter was about. But not lately. It's good to have it back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

agree with point 3 totally. that's why we're headed back.

Byroniac said...

Hey Hobster: It was in the mid to low 60s today here in Texas, and after I got off work after spending all day under an A/C vent, I turned my car heater to 78. Brrrr. That's why I'm glad you're THERE and I'm HERE. At least until summer comes along. :)

Susan a.k.a Lucy said...

I moved here, and my only complaints re: snow is I'd like to see way more of it, I had more in Md by far, and 2, would be the drives who have moved here from sunnydale and just don't know what to do in snow.

Steve B said...

Bu...bu...bu...what about global warming? I miss my Idaho winters. Okinawa is great, but my mom-in-law just regailed me with her snowmobeeling stories this morning on the phone. Grrr.