Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fall TV '07

We're 3 or 4 weeks into the new TV season, and I haven't uttered a word about it yet. I know you're all wondering what's up with that. Never fear, here's my run-down of this year's crop (minus Scrubs which has yet to air).

I know some of you will think that's a lot of TV I'm watching. Let me remind you, I put in a lot of hours in the middle of the night with nothing to do but read and watch TV. I can only check out so many books at a time, not much else to do.

So, on with the TV thoughts...first the returnees, then the rookies:

How I Met Your Mother - okay, the first two episodes were among the flattest this show has ever had. But they were necessary to move the story beyond last year's finale. Am hoping and trusting that things'll pick up quickly. If nothing else, I'm keeping an eye on the countdown (as is Barney).

Smallville - haven't watched an episode yet this year, but am hearing good things. Need to get back on track...(tho last year, didn't watch an episode 'til Christmas, so am still ahead of that)

House, MD - to be perfectly honest, I'd have been content for this to stay in it's nice little formula most of the time like it has in the past. That said, I'm really glad they shook things up--for a little while at least, am sure the status will be quo'd again soon. Yeah, the whole "reality show" thing is annoying and far-fetched in theory, but in practice, it's pretty funny. And it's not like we watch House for realism...

Bones - Hey, it's Bones. What can ya say? Little tired of the whole search for Angela's husband story, but figure it's going somewhere. Everything else is jake with me. Glad to see they've got the Federal Prosecutor from Louisiana in a more regular role--just love her reaction shots (even if the character doesn't add much if anything). One note in particular--okay, I know somewhere there's a law that your police procedural has to do at least one episode dealing with a murder involving fetishists, featuring tough cop being weirded out by it, so I can live with the third episode of this year--but wow, that's a straaaaaange one to use. The whole thing is worth it to have Booth describe what love is at the end of the episode. That little speech is a keeper, right up there with House's "no death with dignity" speech from the pilot, Rory's valedictorian speech, the tribute to Buffy that went with the presentation of the umbrella to her at prom, etc.

Back to You - frequently called the savior of/return of the traditional, one-camera sit-com. Um...what about How I Met Your Mother? Not the best sitcom on the air, but it makes me chuckle. The young producer character is funny, even if he's basically just a fat Miles Silverberg. Fred Willard is, well, Fred Willard. Kelsey Grammar and Patricia Heaton (how did two of the most outspoken Republicans in Hollywood end up on a sitcom together on FOX?!?!?) are real pros...pleasure to see them work. The show has a lot of promise.

Chuck/The Reaper - my current favorite 2 hours of TV each week. Let me quote Alan Sepinwall to describe the show/shows (?):

Meet Sam. Sam is in his 20s, an underachieving college drop-out who works at a big- box store and lives with his parents. One day, through the actions of his folks, he develops superhuman powers he doesn't want and has to moonlight for Satan or face eternal damnation.

Now meet Chuck. Chuck is in his 20s, an underachieving college drop-out who works at a big-box store and lives with his sister. One day, through the actions of his ex-roommate, he develops superhuman powers he doesn't want and has to moonlight for the U.S. government or face a quick execution.

Yup, a new TV season is upon us, and that means it's time for the annual case of double vision. [click here to read the rest of this column
It's tough to say which of these is the better show, overall they're pretty evenly matched. I think Reaper is better with the comedy (barely), Chuck is better with the characters (barely)--I'm pulling more for Chuck to get the girl than I am Sam to get his; Sam's loser friend is better than Chuck's (barely); Chuck's family is more interesting; Reaper has Ray Wise (a perfectly witty, charming, and seductive Devil); Chuck has Adam Baldwin. Frankly, it's a toss-up, and thankfully, I don't have to pick between the two. Hope they both keep it going like they have been.

Bionic Woman - I haven't given up hope on this yet, but it's not what I (or probably most people, esp. NBC executives) had hoped it would be. Best thing about the show is Kara Thrace Starbuck Katee Sackhoff--hopefully this shows producers in the future that she has versatility as well as acting chops and she can get other gigs once Battlestar is done with w/o being typecast.

Pushing Daisies - And here I give this the kiss of death: I Love This Show! I'll watch just about anything with Chi McBride in it--thankfully he's generally attached to things worth watching. This show has charm, it has style, it has pizazz, it has a really cool narrator. Kristen Chenowith is a peach (her performance of "Hopelessly Devoted to You" was great...didn't know whether to laugh or sigh). I know nothing about the two leads, but am enjoying them so far. Everything from the scripts to the look to the characters...I'm hooked, I love it, and fully expect it to be off the air by January.

Battlestar Galactica - oh where, oh where are you?

6 comments:

Lockheed said...

WHAT!? No mention of Heroes?! HERESY!

Hobster said...

well, er, um...y'see....I didn't start watching Heroes 'til very recently...I'm on episode 5 of Season 1 right now...trying to catch up.

But I do have this season on my DVR!! :)

Lockheed said...

You are forgiven!

Steve B said...

I'm so far behind on BSG right now, that I've pretty much given up until I can get the boxed set. I started watching an episode the other night and had no clue what was going on. I finally turned it off so I wouldn't hit any spoilers for when I do get around to catching up.

On a related note, just bought Transformers. Haven't seen it yet, just about to fire it up. Goody!

Susan a.k.a Lucy said...

Pushing Daisies...I LOL, Hubby doesn't...yes it is a bit "over the top" at times, it seemed to try too hard the first two weeks to "press" the premise, but I really think the last two weeks have improved in plot and quality.
Figured you had to be watching it. It has HC written all over it.
It was the only new show I slotted to follow. (I've been reading more) Bones, yes the speech was excellent but I wish I'd turned the whole thing off, I just kept expecting them to move on...the really did keep beating a dead horse! (literally)

Anonymous said...

I normally don't watch TV. Ever. But this season I started watching House and I'm having a good time! Good acting, clever writing, lots of fun! Plus the man knows something about the Bible/Mormonism also. He rocks!