Thursday, April 12, 2007

Personal Crisis

It's unthinkable. Would never have predicted it. The magic is gone. There's just no appeal. No passion. No desire. What had at times been an irresistible and overpowering attraction is nothing. It's been replaced with complete and utter indifference.

I'm not in the mood for coffee.

Haven't been for days. Sure, I'll drink some--little warm up on a cold drive (this is April, I shouldn't have to scrape my windows in the morning!). Ingest some caffeine to stave off withdrawal headaches. That sort of thing. But that's it.

Some of you may think I'm overreacting by calling this a crisis. I'm not. This is really a huge thing. No molehill here. I remember my first cup of coffee--I was 10, it was in a diner in a small town in the middle of Washington where my family stopped for breakfast on our way to B.C. (if it wasn't for my Grandpa chuckling and encouraging me, I don't the waitress or my parents would've let me have it)--and I don't remember much from that age. I wrote a love poem to coffee in my poetry writing course in college (often thought of taking it out and revising...didn't bare my soul enough the first time around). I've lived on up to 3 pots a day at points in my life. And now, this?

It's enough to drive a guy to therapy. Something's clearly wrong.


On another note, why didn't I think of this first?

4 comments:

polymathis said...

I'm sorry to hear this...but I have absolutely no empathy, sympathy or anything else resembling pity.

Just thought that might cheer your day :-)

Anonymous said...

HC,
I know exactly how you feel. I have the same problem, have had it five other times in my life. For me it lasts close to three months... and involves more than coffee, the thought of just about anything makes me ill :)

Just letting you know I empathize.

Mist

Hobster said...

Thanks, Mist. Hope this passes soon--just so I recognize myself. Probably good for me to not drink as much of it as I normally do, eh?

and as for you, mathis.... pbbbbbbbbbbbbbst.

Lockheed said...

It happens... you just have to work through it and be faithful. Drink water and tea for a while but come back to your first love.