Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Getting a good look at the pyramids

It didn't happen, it didn't happen, it didn't happen.

Sorry, I should try to find it in myself to be happy for these plucky guys from Boise, but I can't. I'm a second-generation Vandal. I came of age during the Decade of Dominance (plus a couple). Sure, that era might seem like something out of the mists of legend now. But it was real. I saw it. Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt (literally).

So when it comes to college football, I have two favorite teams. The Vandals, and whoever are playing the Broncos. So yesterday Oklahoma was my team. And they failed. (shudder)

What's worse than the fact that underdog BSU won such a prominent game was that it will just encourage the local media. For at least a week before the Broncos were invited to the Fiesta Bowl, all four TV stations, the newspapers, just about every radio station (dunno about the NPR stuff, and a couple of Christian holdouts), etc. went into Fiesta Bowl frenzy. Once it became official, the coverage seemed to be 24/7. It led local newscasts for weeks (never mind wars, murders, etc.); it pre-empted Nightline one night, interfered w/New Year's Eve Countdown shows, etc., etc., etc. One radio station "The Eagle" renamed itself "The Bronco." And then the Smurf Turf lunkheads won. The coverage will never end!!!

This is just too much for a Vandal to bear....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a strong urge to snigger at your football misery...but I won't :-)

I just like a good football game; the closer to the wirer the better!

Anonymous said...

I was with you in pulling against them - but I still have to give them a little respect for such an incredible game to watch. Glad I'm not in ID for the total media saturation though. Console yourself with thoughts of when Petersen leaves and/or they lose to some scrub team next year and the high collapses.

Hobster said...

Console yourself with thoughts of when Petersen leaves and/or they lose to some scrub team next year and the high collapses.

you're right, the thought of future schadenfreude should carry me through