Monday, April 11, 2005

Big Weekend

Samwise played his first T-ball game. He's got great instincts--only kid out there who once he got his hands on the ball didn't have to be told where to throw it (who says MLB2004 for the Game Cube isn't educational?). Getting his uniform was one of the proudest moments of his life. He kept saying "I'm a [team name] today! I'm a [team name] today!"

Frodo was clearly a veteran on the field--always the second man to the ball (usually by a step). Why do I think that's good? Because it wasn't long before he'd figured out that no one else knew what to do, so from Left Field he started dashing for any ball that made it out of the infield--all of which were to Center or Right. So something'd get hit to RF and he'd take off, and get there one step behind. Good hits, too.

Turns out that it's not next Sunday as originally planned that will be my last doing pulpit supply, but it was yesterday. Relieved to be done and have more time in my life...but hate to give it up. (unless something goes horribly wrong at Presbytery and I'm in for another 6 mos. + of this)

Biggest news of the weekend: the Kidney Kid WALKED!!! Friday we tricked him into taking a couple of steps while he was distracted by a toy. But Saturday we got him to walk between the Mrs and myself. After doing it a few times, he realized what he was doing :) Yesterday I broke out the videocamera to capture the steps. He took a couple steps toward me and then stopped, uncertain. So I flipped the little LCD screen around so he could see himself in it. He uttered a very Tim Allen-esque grunt (it's in the genes) and hobbled towards the camera :)

If you'd asked us a year ago to predict where he'd be...we'd have been sure he'd have been healthy. But probably on dialysys, maybe a feeding tube (and of course, the humane thing would then have been to starve him and let him die a peaceful, noble death). This is beyond all our expectations and hopes. Soli Deo Gloria.

0 comments: