Sunday, March 13, 2005

Reading of the Law 3/13

All of us have been in some public place--a grocery store, a park, a restaurant with a child that clearly doesn’t want to be there or doesn’t want to be doing what his mother or father wants him to do. We were at Kiddie Kandids yesterday, and towards the end of our time there we got a waling serenade from one such toddler. Now, that’s annoying—sometimes VERY annoying. But that’s all. There’s nothing I can or would do about that. But if one of my children acted that way, I’d have something to say about it. And they would have to respond. If I went up to that rebel at the photographer yesterday, he’d have no reason to listen to me when I told him to pipe down. Frodo, Samwise and the Princesshave every reason to listen to me. The same is true for those in God’s family. All those who have been created by God are bound by his law, his commands. But how much more do those of us who call Him Father, who have been given that great gift, how much more do we owe him our obedience. Heart obedience is for the family of God. Not for strangers to the promise, those enemies of our Father. And we see another picture of our familial obligation her in our reading of the law today...Romans 8:5-13

0 comments: