Friday, January 16, 2004

Needing a lesson?

Here's draft one of my exhortation to go along with the reading of the Law this week, this is kind of odd, I tend to make them up on the fly (and as a result, they tend to sound pretty much the same). Need to do this more in the future.

The idea of the law as something to spur us to Christ is something we?re all familiar with, maybe even used to. But how many of us seek out the Law so that it will drive us to Christ? David prays ?Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.? (Ps. 139:23-24). Job as well asks God, ?How many are my iniquities and sins? Make me know my transgression and my sin.? (13:23)

We all know at times that we?ve drifted from Christ, from our first love. We know that our hearts have gotten a little harder, a little colder. And what do we so often do? We try to warm our hearts ourselves, try to beat them a little to soften them up. We pray that God would rekindle the love we had, but so often we ignore the means that God himself gave us to do that. When we go to the Law, ask the Schoolmaster for a lesson, we will discover anew our sin and our great need of mercy?and that will always drive us to Christ, enflaming our faith, our love and devotion toward him.

0 comments: