Sunday, August 01, 2010

Who are You Calling a Foodie?

An old friend asked me "as a foodie," where he should eat as he's visiting Boise.

At first, I was flattered that he'd bother to seek my opinion--it's so rare that anyone cares what I think anymore, even my dog seems to have a "can take or leave it" approach to what I think. But then I focused on that qualifier, "as a foodie," and flattered turned to umbrage.

You'd think in this PC day and age, that asking something based on someone's ethnicity would be passé. Just because I have a good deal of German blood in me, I can't imagine someone in polite company asking me how to get France to surrender (answer: Show up.). I mean, come on, people, how long are we going to tolerate this kind of thinking?

And just why would a Foodie know where to eat? Just because the name sounds like the stuff you eat? It's like asking a Scot if he knows something about Scotch er, wait, bad example. Still, wouldn't it be a better bet to ask someone who's French or Italian that question?

By the way, just what country do the Foodies hale from, anyway? I'm not sure what part of the WASP-stew that is my genetic pool came from it. Maybe it's from somewhere near Croatia, I've lost track of what countries are around there lately. Does Boise even have a strong foodie presence? I know there's a lot of Basques...

Whoops. I've just been informed what a foodie is. Apparently, it's not an ethnic term, but

is someone who has a deep interest in food. In addition to being interested in food itself, foodies are also interested in the back story: the history, production, science, and industry of food. As a general rule, foodies are amateurs, rather than professionals working in some aspect of the food industry, and many of them are self-taught.
or
To be a foodie is not only to like food, but to be interested in it. Just as a good student will have a thirst for knowledge, a foodie wants to learn about food. A foodie will never answer the question "What are you eating" with "I don't know." There are some basic traits of being a foodie, as there are basic traits that come with all labels. Generally, you have to know what you like, why you like it, recognize why some foods are better than others and want to have good tasting food all or certainly most of the time. This doesn't mean that you can't eat flaming hot Cheetos every now and again, but it does mean that you don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a nutritionally balanced meal. Do you have to know the difference between a beefsteak tomato and an heirloom tomato? No, but you might be interested to find out what it is. Do you have to only shop at farmer's markets? No, but you still look for good, fresh produce. Are there some foods you just don't like or weird foods you like? That's ok - it doesn't make you any less of a foodie. Just like food, learn about food and, most importantly, eat food.
Which is a totally different ball of wax.

After some thought, I guess I might just be one after all. A rookie foodie, anyway.

Never mind.
* Incidentally, on my recommendation, my friend went to Boise Fry Co., and he thought it was great. If you haven't been there yet, you should. Even if it involves interstate travel.

1 comments:

Hobster said...

that whole thing was far more amusing before I started typing it.

Oh well, it's an actual post, gotta (re)start somewhere