Saturday, May 16, 2009

Choking

I was asked yesterday if I remembered I had a blog. Hadn't realized exactly how long it had been since I posted anything, sorry 'bout that, faithful readers (all 3 of you).

I have more than one post in mind, but haven't been able to get 'em out, I guess. It's not that I'm claiming writer's block (I tend to agree with Robert B. Parker, there's no such thing), but I do think I'm over-thinking my writing lately.

I remember a couple years ago, A-Rod was having a rough season and pundits, analysts and guys who watch too much ESPN were talking about him trying too hard. You could see him gripping the bat too tightly, for example--which only helped to throw his mechanics off.

I find myself doing similar things lately (obviously I don't squeeze the bat too tightly, but maybe, just maybe I hit the keys too hard), I've got a couple of short pieces I need to have written weeks ago--and in a sense, I've written them, I know exactly what I want to say, but I can't get them on paper. I re-write phrases as I type--I can't even get full sentences out. And 'til I get them out, I'm having a hard time getting anything written (even my Facebook statuses are fewer and farther between than normal--I think duller, too, but other can be the judge of that).

I'm going to try to chain myself to my keyboard this weekend and pull those two pieces out, which will hopefully break the log jam (and relieve the great burden of guilt I'm carrying over not getting them done)--so hopefully by the Monday or so, there'll be a steady flow of posts again.

To sum up: keep checking, I haven't forgotten about this place.

To paraphrase the 16th president, I'm sorry this is post is so long. I did not have the time to write a short one.

1 comments:

Steve B said...

I feel your pain, although, mostly metaphorically.

As much as I like writing, you'd think I'd do it more!