Friday, July 27, 2007

For her

Earlier tonight I was trying to come up with a way to tell my wife how I feel about her beyond that three word phrase--wasn't necessarily trying to come up with a poem or anything, no knock-yer-socks-off-sonnet or swoon-inducing lyric (tho' I'm never one to pass up a swoon)...just something more.

I was sweeping up after dinner, muttering all stream-of-consciousy, brainstorming. And that old Robert Burns poem came tumbling out--lousy accent and all. First three verses anyway--word perfect, I should add (took a quick prompt from a page google found me to get the last one re-cemented). Which I found fairly impressive as I did a rush-memorizing job of it back in '93 in order to impress some girl who was left totally cold by it anyway.

Circumstances interfered, and I didn't get to hit TLomL with the verse--accent would've killed the intended effect anyway, so can't complain too much.

Nevertheless, sentiment fits, so here it is.

A Red, Red Rose

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
   That's newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie
   That's sweetly play'd in tune!

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
   So deep in luve am I:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
   Till a' the seas gang dry:

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
   And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
   While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
   And fare thee weel a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
   Tho' it were ten thousand mile.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very sweet! Feeling in the mood for a love poet since I am missing the man hanging out in Boise for a few weeks.

I am sure your lovely bride appreciates it!

-Mist

Anonymous said...

She does. :)

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great and worthy challenge, to reach deep inside my heart and find personal words that describe my love, rather than "I love you".

Susan a.k.a Lucy said...

Well your friend the Lucy Lassie with psalmody on her brain, could suggest that if you drop the "funny accent" (grrr...says who??? ok, scots was pretty bad but it's pretty much like glaswegian and those who have glesca parliamo are my peeps dude!)
you could sing the song to your beloved in common meter. yes, new britain (aka tune of amazing grace) works but personally if I were going to croon in the kitchen while sweeping the floor I'd go with the house of the rising sun tune, or for comedic effect, gilligans island tune? That said, I think I can speak for many of the womenfolk out here, possibly even my cousin J. and say..the Heart thumping part of your story is the FLOOR SWEEPING!!! we love that as a "love language"....(I'm sure the TLoYL would try to resist saying you missed a spot lol)...Susan AKA Lucy

Hobster said...

1. I meant the accent as it comes out of my mouth...I've listened to too many hours of Still, Ferguson, Begg, etc to complain about the accent :) (not to mention hours watching David Tennant)
2. My singing would drive TLomL to begging for my worst impression of Tim, the Scottish wizard from The Holy Grail. Otherwise, a decent idea.