Saturday, July 28, 2007

Baseball vs. Football

Was talking with girlfriday's dad (dadfriday?)* about life, baseball, etc. and he starts talking about this classic Carlin bit, one that both of us are surprised I'm not familiar with. Typically, he scours his memory, trying to remember specific lines; I search youtube and google. His is the honest, respectable route. Mine produces results like this:


Hilarious!

However funny Carlin is, the 98 of the 99 items in Thomas Boswell's "Why Is Baseball So Much Better Than Football?" are better reasoned (and I'm not just saying this because of the obvious pro-football bias in Carlin).
-------

* BTW, I don't know if this has been addressed before, but is there any relation between girlfriday and King Friday XIII? I can sorta see a resemblance.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad Friday never noticed the resemblance before, but it's there. Hey, I got named on a famous blog (George Carlin classic). If I ever have my own blog, now I've got a name for it.

girlfriday said...

Correct as usual.

Susan a.k.a Lucy said...

1. Hey how come I can't see the pictures of girlfriday and King Friday XIII?

2. Really, I thought Carlin seemed more pro-baseball.

3. I have to confess I like Football better, I suppose this surprises no one?Probably a result of all those Navy games as a kid with my dad, preferring cool weather and being cursed with a family who cheered for the Boston Redsox while I lived in the land of the O's....(Yeah O's)and too funny...Dadfriday! perfect.

Susan a.k.a Lucy said...

Ps...before my reputation is totally shot with that preferance of football...may I note that I do NOT like the NFL, only college football (ok and the RAVENS...gotta love the Poe connection and the Purple and Black colors) and who watches college baseball? And I agree on TV football rots.

Anonymous said...

College football is the best sport on tv. I have no interest in the NFL, even the Ravens, though the Poe connection is clever. When Carlin first did the routine in the 70's, he was definitely pro-baseball.