Friday, October 20, 2006

Revision

One of the things I'm working on is admitting when I was wrong. I was with my thumbnail review of Over the Hedge. I've seen Over the Hedge a few more times, and have to cop to the fact that I like it. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention the first time. This is a fun flick. Not Shrek or Pixar-level, but better than Madagascar and Shark Tale. Still, story isn't perfect--but the characters, voice-work and individual scenes make up for it. I've become quite taken with Bruce Willis' RJ and Steve Carell's Hammy (tho' very little of Hammy has to do with dialogue--mostly animation). There's one particular scene toward the beginning where RJ introduces the rest of the animals to the relationship of Humans and Food. Utterly priceless (the words alone won't do it, gotta have the images).

Not unlike this:

RJ: That is an S.U.V; Humans ride in then because they are slowly losing their ability to walk.
Lew the Porcupine: Wow it's huge!
Hammy the Squirrel: How many people fit in there?
RJ: Usually, one.
...the voice-overs on the credits are great, too.

Revised Grade: B+/A- It's going on my shelf.

0 comments: