Monday, October 09, 2006

I have seen the movie, and the movie is me

WOW! Outside of Finding Nemo's portrayal of my parenting skills/paranoia through Marlin, I cannot think of a movie that so captures my life--and in an uncomfortable way--than Adam Sandler's Click. (although Mark Harmon's Freddy Shoop comes close to the depicting that one crazy summer...)* I'm not exactly sure what it says about me that I find myself depicted by Sandler, but hey, truth is truth sometimes...

Click is the story of up-and-coming architect Michael Newman--devoted father, loving husband who wants to provide the best he can for his family. Which means that he must get ahead in his career--which leads to him letting down his family. A lot. He's been half-done with a play fort for 2 months, is canceling camping plans, etc., etc. He hates to disappoint his family, but finds himself doing it anyway. He does it so much, he really doesn't notice. Then he comes into contact with a time-manipulating universal remote control (this is where it departs from my life, because my playing with time-manipulation has never worked).

The rest of the movie shows what happens when you skip/fast-forward through certain parts of your life to focus on other parts.

Yeah, the movie shouldn't be watched by all. Crude, some sexual humor, some drug humor (more of the former than the latter), sometimes juvenile. Even if it doesn't send you off on a tour of self-introspection it's worth the watch. David Hasselhoff that the big & loud lady from Legally Blonde are hilarious. Beckinsale minus her accent is weird, but she does okay (what Michael actually sees in her character, I'm not sure I see, but not sure it matters). Sean Astin does a good job in his new role as Sandler stock-player. Funny stuff on the whole.

The lesson that Michael Newman learns is one I've spent the last couple of weeks learning. It was slightly jarring to find it reflected on that DVD.

The question for me is, since real life is rarely like the movies--when it's never too late for characters who learn something to turn things around--have I learned things too late? Stay tuned....

* I hope it's obvious that this line is a joke

0 comments: