Monday, July 11, 2005

2nd-Grade Exegesis

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (ESV)

Shockingly, tonight was the first time I remember talking about this verse with my kids. We were in John 3, and Frodo and Sam were able to get the whole talk about being "born again"--they had an easier time when I showed them it was the same thing as the "regeneration" talked about in their catechism.

But we go over the ever-so famous verse 16. Simple little questions, "why did God give his Son?" "What will happen to those who believe?" "What does perish mean?" Frodo even gets a couple of points for bringing in the Bronze Serpent. Then I ask something like "who can have eternal life?" Frodo blinks, and then realizes it's self-evident: "Those who believe."

note to Dave Hunt: my 6 year old can get it. Come on man...

0 comments: