Friday, December 05, 2008

Two Bucks

While going through Wal-mart last weekend for our weekly shopping, couldn't help but glance at the Black Friday displays that were still up (actually had to, otherwise would've been constantly tripping over them). One of the displays were DVDs for $2--most of them utter rubbish, obviously. There was a diamond in the rough, though, the Renny Harlin classic, The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Okay, granted, as diamonds in the rough go, it's more like cubic zirconium. And "classic" pretty much has to be taken ironically, as it's describing a Renny Harlin flick. But it's one of those movies I've always liked. A guilty pleasure, sure, but a great way to relax. Back when I actually had a VCR, I'd reguarly pop the video in. But I could never bring myself to shell out the $$ for the DVD.

But thanks to rampant consumerism, any time I want, I can hear Samuel L Jackson say, "Oh phooey, I burned the darn muffins;" watch Geen Davis fire an automatic weapon into an ice-covered lake to provide a safe landing place for the two of them after jumping out a window; see more outlandish explosions than belong in a movie not featureing Det. John McClane; I could go on, but I won't.

And I didn't even have to trample anyone to do it.

0 comments: