Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Lost my Jeopardy (Baby)

I didn't get to watch Jeopardy! tonight. And I won't get to watch it tomorrow. And my DVR won't be able to watch Numb3rs for me tomorrow...or The Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother on Monday.

Thankfully, it's more difficult now to catch The Mentalist or Eleventh Hour.

The owner of the local CBS affiliate and my satellite provider are in a bit of a tiff--and in the midst of it, their contract expired. So as of 12:01 this morning, I can't watch CBS.

The he said/she said accusations are flying thick. CBS affiliate says: they charge for our broadcasts, we want a cut. Satellite provider says: they've jacked their rates 80%. Blah blah blah

I don't blame the local guys for wanting their share--makes sense (tho' I do wonder how their advertisers feel about their audience shrinking so quickly). And I certainly understand not wanting to kow-tow to an 80% increase, and I'd balk at it.

Not sure who's going to blink first, but I gotta say, this is not the right time to do this. TV is having a hard enough time hanging onto its audience at all. And it's so easy to get CBS programming (legitimately or not) that in this day and age this game of chicken is gonna have no real winner, but two clear losers.

0 comments: