Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Bubbly

Few weeks back, iTunes Free Single of the Week was the first single from this new artist named Colbie Caillat. Was in the mood for a new tune, so I clicked on it. When the phrase "female Jack Johnson" floated by my eyes, I started downloading.

That was a mistake.

Sorta.

I can't stop listening to it. The song, "Bubbly" is just that--bubbly--a veritable onomatopoeic song. A piece of musical cotton-candy that makes you feel all warm and sunshiny despite your worst, cynical, half-empty glass, is-it-gonna-be-Monday-all-week?, Eeyore-like, I-wish-I-had-a-cat-so-I-could-kick-it mood.

Sweet, simple, catchy--a perfect pop song. Terribly infectious, yet you don't mind getting it stuck in your head all day. The kind of thing you can hear and think "yup, that's why Pop Music exists." You can tolerate (in the sense of not hiring people to kill) Britney, Akon, and whatnot. Last time I can think of a song like this was Sixpence's "Kiss Me," or maybe the aforementioned Johnson's, "Upside Down"--but I don't think that was as widely played.

It starts in my toes
makes me crinkle my nose
where ever it goes
i always know
that you make me smile
please stay for a while now
just take your time

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoyster, my 17 year old daughter is crazy about that song. It's one of her ring-tones, for pete's sake! I want to "ring" (sic) her neck!

This song is leagues away from "Kiss Me", which may be one of the most perfect pop tunes of all time, next to "Don't Dream It's Over."

Do whatever is necessary to overcome this obsession. And I do mean whatever.