Saturday, January 28, 2006

The T-Shirt Says It All

Finally saw Serenity tonight. Gorgeous film. I loved the series, but this...wow. They really brought their A game. The dialogue didn't crackle the way that Whedon's usually does--but he was going for a slightly broader audience this time (I never had doubts about his Wonder Woman flick, but I have less now)

There was a rawness, a humanity to this that no Star Trek movie, and most of the Star Wars films didn't touch (maybe bits of Empire). The deaths (and there were some) meant something; the sacrifices, the nobility--they were real. Can't say that for many things on TV or in the theaters today.

River rocked. Still would give a limb for Kaylee. Would like to be half the Shepherd that Book was. Wash and Mal still make me laugh.

Not going to attempt a real review, or even what passes for one 'round these parts. Can't do the film justice. It made me laugh, made me jump, made me angry, inspired and left a smile on my face. Can't ask for much more out of a cowboy in space movie.

Too many good lines to recount, but one'll stick with me for awhile: "If you can't do something smart, do something right." I should get that on a pillow or something.

6 comments:

rustypth said...

"Let's be bad guys"

Anonymous said...

Hey Hob...one of my friends said he's defiantly going to see the flick with the "hot chick" in the picture. :)

Anonymous said...

oops! I meant definitely.

girlfriday said...

I saw the film before you? Did the Earth tip off its axis?

I liked it too, but am afraid to see it again to try to dig a little deeper. Those flesh-eating beasties scared the the crap out of me.

Hobster said...

LOL, maybe you seeing it before me explains the strange weather lately...

kletois said...

I loved Serenity, I was totally blown away by it. Serenity was definitately the film version of the second season of Firefly - who knows what Whedon would have done to this epic adventure had Fox not pulled the pin on it. Full marks to Whedon on this one.