Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Hey, it's not supposed to bend that way

sigh...Apparently it's been to long since I've had a post containing the words: doctor, ER, or pain.

So last night, after most of the crew has been sent home I'm doing the typical hustle when he get a rush of cars in the drive-thru. And since the new manager they just transferred in can't seem to bother doing anything, I was hustling a little more than normal. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I was bagging an order, taking one, and trying to start a basket of fries, and I was keeping myself from falling on the floor as my ankle bent in a way not matching original specifications, and my leg slipped out under me (for the record, I dropped no food). An off-duty manager catching up on paperwork told me he heard "popping." The manager who had been busily standing there, was forced to move while the off-duty guy compelled me to sit down and put my foot up.

After a few, I get up, foot's sore and stiff, but eh, whatever,

So I finish my shift a couple hours later, come home put my foot up and try to do some Greek homework. Before long, that soreness became really intense pain, I start shivering uncontrollably. But, I was able to get a good deal of homework done before I threw in the towel, went through the drive-thru and picked up a injury report (did you know fries don't come with that?).

Took the ER forever, given I seemed to be half of the patient populace, but they finally got me drugged-up and x-rayed. Nasty sprain. Should be back up and around like normal in a couple of weeks. Finally get home and only then get to sleep.

Now why do I go into this much detail? Why not simply say, "Sprained my ankle at work last night. Ow. Ow. Ow. Thank heavens for Vicodin!" So you, too, can appreciate the bitter irony that's been boring a hole in the back of my skull all day. When I temporarily regain consciousness mid-morning, I get this email from my Greek professor saying I need to be "more diligent with your time."

Since my friends have been going on about the fun of Prednisone over at Sea Salt & Vinegar, I figure I better throw in my review of Vicodin--like when I took it this summer--I'm woozy, tired, and semi-coherent. This time, at least, it's taking care of most of the pain. Anyhow, if this post isn't as semi-amusing as I think it is, I blame it on the pills.

4 comments:

Susan a.k.a Lucy said...

Poor Dear Hob!!!
No no, Vicodin (don't ask why but be sure you are drinking LOTS of water with it) is a wonder drug when rightly used by Drs but it is NOT the drug to take for better blogging. Surely the product insert told you that.
I hope they gave you the Norco level 10mg/350 ration. If you are NOT getting total pain relief please do call and be a squeeky wheel. Pain is a cycle and you want to keep it from spiking at all...if it spikes, then it becomes
harder to get under control and a vicious cycle starts. I am so proud I don't like to sound like I hurt and it took Nurse Rottweiler to get me to change tune, I bless her for it still! Heal dude!

Anonymous said...

Hobart, Roselee & I are afraid you'll break somewhere, with so much stress. We're asking the Lord to strengthen your heart.
We love you!

girlfriday said...

Anything we can do to help besides order you to stop getting hurt?

Hobster said...

awww thanks guys.