Monday, November 28, 2005

Education Deficit Disorder

Frankly, that's probably the real disorder fueling Ritalin and Adderall administration.

In his testimony to the Pennsylvania House Democratic Policy Committee, Bruce Wiseman, National President of the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, stated that "thousands of children put on psychiatric drugs are simply 'smart.'" He quoted the late Sydney Walker, a psychiatrist and neurologist, as saying, "They're hyper not because their brains don't work right, but because they spend most of the day waiting for slower students to catch up with them. These students are bored to tears, and people who are bored fidget, wiggle, scratch, stretch, and (especially if they are boys) start looking for ways to get into trouble."

read-on The Myth of ADHD. Not much new here, but a good intro/reminder (depending on what you need).

4 comments:

rustypth said...

I should read this in my one of my Education courses *malicious grin*

Can you IMAGINE the uproar it would cause? (I can)

kletois said...

This can't be true. Im smart and I've never needed Ritalin. I did however have respect for those around me and respect for authority figures.....ah, the good ol' days.

Hobster said...

how barbaric, kletois! You poor, poor man...being raised to respect others?!?!

Rusty--I posted this yesterday, but it never showed up. For your sake, for your own, personal safety...please don't do that. You need all your limbs (can't do the Lindy w/o them)!

rustypth said...

excellent point Hobs