Sunday, February 25, 2007

A little improvement

This morning I had the great priviledge of witnessing the baptism of a dear friend's daughter. It was also the first time I'd seen it done in a church from the Dutch Reformed tradition. Not that the ceremony was much different--just done on a cheaper budget [rim shot]. Now, I'm not that much on set forms, but one strength in them is that you are guaranteed some well-thought-out words with them. I thought that the form used this morning was particularly good, and really wished I had a copy of the 3rd point to hand out to my baptistic friends (alas...cannot find it online).

But the important thing is that me and my kids got another glimpse of the infinite goodness of God, in appointing an initiating ordinance, irreversibly sealing all the blessings of the covenant to the elect seed.

Well, actually, that was of secondary importance. The important thing is that the blessings of the covenant were irreversibly sealed to that precious little girl.

Which meant that today was the day for us all to perform the needful but much neglected duty of improving our baptism.

I checked with some friends, and the "Reformed" Baptists have no concept of this--and even Presbyterians rarely pay attention to it. So should probably give a quick explanation about how one does that:

I. By serious and thankful consideration of
A. the nature of baptism
B. the ends for which Christ instituted baptism
C. the privileges and benefits conferred and sealed in baptism
D. our solemn vow made in baptism

II. By being humbled for
A. our sinful defilement
B. our falling short of, and walking contrary to, the grace of baptism, and our engagements

III. By growing up to assurance of
A. pardon of sin
B. of all other blessings sealed to us in baptism

IV. By drawing strength from the death and resurrection of Christ, into whom we are baptized
A. for the mortifying of sin
B. for the quickening of grace

V. By endeavoring to
A. live by faith
B. live in holiness and righteousness, as those that have therein given up their names to Christ
C. walk in brotherly love, as being baptized by the same Spirit into one body

...hefty-sized list, but at least it gave me osmething to do for the afternoon :)

5 comments:

rustypth said...

"Reformed" for RB's was in quotes? That's strange.

Hobster said...

how is that strange?

polymathis said...

Thanks for outlining that catechism question--that could be useful for the future.

As for the "Reformed" quotation, I would consider any Baptist Reformed if he were covenantal (not dispo) in line with the London Confession. I just like to be nice once in a while... :-)

polymathis said...

Comment approval, eh? Must be nice being popular!

Hobster said...

RE: the comment approval...been hit by too many spammers lately. Probably will disable that after awhile just to see if they've gone away.

RE: the outline, you're welcome :) When I sat down to write that post, I'd fully intended on commenting on the question. But then I started reading it and figured 1. it's pretty clear and 2. it's long!

RE: the quotations. Pastor Poly, I'm shocked to see you being so nice. More shocked to see you being so loose with the definition of "covenental." :)