Friday, September 29, 2006

I feel violated. . . . and not in a good way.

Watched X-Men: The Last Stand last night (SPOILER WARNING). I'm tempted to utter some imprecatory curse against Bryan Singer for abandoning the project for that Superman flick, but I figure the ....er, did I mention there might be SPOILERS?


Taking a break for those who want to avert their eyes.

...but I figure the disrespectful way that Marsden was utilized and dispatched pretty much makes up for it. And honestly, all the blame for this falls at the feet of Ratner and 20th Century Fox.

I seriously can't think of anything I like about this flick. The storyline...was pretty shabby. I'm willing to bet that last night's Smallville premier had better FX. Ditto for the score! If you notice the score it'd better be because it's the only redeeming thing in a bad flick or just something perfect. This was noticeable because it made a couple of scenes seem better in contrast. The costumes annoyed me. Jackman's hair bugged me (so did Barre's come to think of it--and I promise you, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about hair--just look at my pictures). And don't get me started on Beast--or Angel (tho' the scene at the beginning w/him as a lad--that one worked)--or Leech--or...ack, just have to stop now.

Romijn and Ashmore worked for me. I think that was about it. Even the almost perfect Paquin fell flat (been a fan of hers since The Piano). Stewart was wasted. McKellen couldn't save it with all his gravitas.

I felt so ripped off by the tie-everything-up-in-a-tidy-bow of a happy ending, that I didn't check out one special feature, deleted scene or alternate ending.

Best thing about this DVD? The Sneak Preview of the Simpsons movie that showed up on the main menu. And I'd already seen it from the video grabs that people did at various comic cons this summer and posted on YouTube. But this was cleaner and with better audio.

Grade? D. Save yourself the time and trouble unless you have to know how things wrapped up. And even then, make sure you use a 2-for-1 coupon or something.

Rusty, I know you disagree. Feel free to comment away and convince me I'm wrong. Kletois and I are up to the challenge :) (also have to believe that SpideyGeek will chime in my support, or I will lose all faith in her career.)

4 comments:

Gerald So said...

So glad I dodged this turkey.

Unknown said...

Yup... there's a reason why I haven't seen it yet. Read all of the spoilers when it came out in the theater; because after Singer left and scripts started surfacing, I knew we were headed for a train wreck. The spoilers confirmed it and this seals the coffin. I may have to watch this anyway for the sake of interacting with fellow comic fans. But, I assure you, I will not enjoy the experience.

What a waste of Singer's set up in X2. Bringing back Phoenix/Jean was not a bad idea, but they should have focused on either the cure or Jean going bad instead of bloating the plot and cramming it into a short movie. Personally, I would have reserved Dark Phoenix for 4 and used this as a setup. But anything would have beat what they came up with.

And as for Marsden... criminy. If I read correctly, he's killed off with barely an explanation or a reason? That's Scott Freaking Summers, for crying out loud. Granted, I've not much cared for his portrayal in the movies, but... c'mon, you take Cyclops and you do *that*?!
And where is Nightcrawler... and what's with Kelsey Grammar's get-up... and... and... and... more Halle Berry?! And... and...

*curls in the corner and rocks back and forth with her knees drawn tightly against her chest*
Make the bad men stop...

rustypth said...

I've just always been a huge X-Men fan, and I love to see my favorite comic book series up on the big screen.

It's kewl if you hated it, mate. Opinions opinions. Just don't disagree with me on Starwars or Harry Potter, =)

TRO

girlfriday said...

To paraphrase Barenaked Ladies, I learned to suck as a child, but XMen 3 took it to an art form.