Monday, January 11, 2010

Secondhand Smoke by Karen E. Olson

As I mentioned last week, when reading over my list of '09 reads, I couldn't recognize one title, Karen E. Olson's debut, Sacred Cows, and that I felt incredibly guilty about that. So I picked up the second installment in her Annie Seymore mysteries this weekend to assuage that guilt. It didn't take too long to get re-immersed in Annie's world, I'm glad I did.

Olson's focus isn't on the case, it's not about the mystery for her. This is Annie's story--it's about what happens to her (and those around her) while she investigates/reports on this case.

Annie Seymore is a single woman, pushing 40; a life-long resident of New Haven, CT; and a newspaper reporter getting tired of it all (I look really forward to seeing how that progresses in further novels in particular--especially in light of all the industry troubles). This particular novel finds her between relationships--still dealing with the detrius of her last as she begins her next. While reading, I thought Olson focused too much on that, but in retrospect, I think I was wrong. Not sure why it struck me that way.

Of course Annie has her share of family issues (who doesn't?). She has a strong relationship with her father--who seems to have some connections with certain nefarious types. Things with her mother are more strained--an upstanding member of the community, lawyer, who happens to be dating the new publisher of Annie's paper.

Oh yeah, the mystery, can't forget that--a neighborhood institution, an Italian restaurant, burns down on Thanksgiving across the street from Annie's apartment. A body is found inside, but the building collapses before the firemen can retrieve it. This sets off a domino effect involving illegal gambling, animal rights protesters, the Mob, the FBI, and of course, Annie and her circle.

This book did have the misfortune of being the book I started within the same hour that I finished Val McDermid's rather intense, The Mermaids Singing, so I spent the first 75-100 pages thinking how lightweight it was. True, comparitively speaking, it is--but that's a good thing, Annie's not Tony Hill or Carol Jordan, and the world's better off that she isn't. A good, fast-paced, entertaining read--definitely coming back for more.

1 comments:

Karen Olson said...

I'm glad you're enjoying my books! I hope you'll continue with Annie's next two adventures. The fourth, SHOT GIRL, received a Shamus nomination this past year, and it explains why Annie is the way she is.