Monday, April 26, 2004

oh, the humanity!

I'm a long-time Doonesbury fan. Read it all the time, I have several of the collections from the 70's, 80's and 90's--I even have the script to the Broadway Musical! Now, honestly, not just for political reasons--I think the last year or so, Trudeau's lost a little something I like to call humor--not all of it, he's just been off his game.

But at the end of the day, no matter what you think of his politics, or his humor--if you've read him for any length of time, you know he's done a great job at creating characters. This series over the last week or so with BD being injured in Iraq has really helped me remember that.

...losing a leg--I mean, for an ex-football star, now coach, that's bad. That's just really bad. But BD losing his helmet??? The audience seeing his hair? Why, why, why?!?!?! Whatever happened to common decency! There are certain things you just don't do: you don't have Archie actually pick Betty; you don't have Nero Wolfe give up beer; you don't have Robin Williams stick to a script; and for pity's sake, you don't let BD take off his helmet!!!

0 comments: